182 Geometric Squared

Finally its finished! I can’t recall how many hours I spent painting this wall,  I lost count after 12 hours.

So you want to know how I did it? Are you sure…because I don’t think anyone in their right mind should even try this. Just kidding! I love it (now that its finished).

The design

The geometric square pattern came from my rug. First I sketched out the design on graph paper.

Originally the scale was much smaller, I placed it on the wall and it was too tiny to see what was going on. So I doubled the size.

Once the drawing was what I wanted I took stencil paper I bought at the craft store and laid it on top. Using a very sharp razor blade I cut through the design.

My walls are a light tan color so I wanted the pattern to stick out, but I didn’t want stark white. We had some left over paint when our house was built, so I mixed colors. I mixed 3 parts white and 1 part tan, it was exactly what I wanted…the same tint of tan but in a lighter color. 

With the paint mixed I started in the top left corner.

Square 56 of 182

Painting

Halfway finished square

Time to fill in the gaps

After applying the paint to the stencil, I filled in the gaps with a brush. I found a brush that was the same width of the design, that seemed to help a lot.

The paint dried pretty fast, so I didn’t loose any time waiting for paint to dry. The longest part was filling in the gaps.

Also I learned early on, was to keep the stencil clean. After 10-12 squares I’d soak the stencil in warm water and remove the paint build up. It kept the lines very precise.

182 squares later and I am finished!

Its complete

Pink roses love the wall

So pretty!

Now that was a lot of work!

I need a little something to hang on the wall now. I was thinking deer antlers or even a long horn, you know to off set the urban wall design with a little country. Any suggestions?

This project is linked up to The DIY Show Off - Project Parade and Tea Rose Home

20 comments:

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Oh...WOW!!! This looks beyond fabulous!! You did an amazing job, it reads like a beautiful wallpaper, only more special.
Janell

Ali said...

Wow--that looks great! I bet people would pay you to do this for them.

Unknown said...

WOW. You have the patience of a saint! I'd give up after an hour. LOL It looks AWESOME!!! Great job!

I hope you're linking this up to a few parties. You deserve some high traffic to this one. :)

Now, can you come do a wall in my house?

Debbi said...

That is awesome! What a great idea. If you want to add a little country try putting some tall twigs in your white urn and maybe some logs in the basket on the right. Try that before you nail anything into all of your work. You might not need anything on the wall.

Anonymous said...

omg, this is awesome!

Mary K Brennan said...

I would have just bought the wall paper. You have alot of patience. It turned out great.

Anonymous said...

WOW! That looks amazing! Great job!

Coming over from SITS to say hello! :)

lori said...

That is amazing! It seriously looks like wallpaper. Great job. Oh, and thanks-- now I feel like a creative failure;)

Unknown said...

That is awesome! It looks so great. I found you on SITS. God bless!

Anonymous said...

You get the crown for Queen of Patience and Perfection! I am awed!

Seizing My Day said...

WOW !! I wish I had seen that a year ago ~ before I ruined my living room with brown paint!!! That is beautiful!! Do you live in Wa by any chance?? ha ha!! =) You should feel very very proud!

visiting from sits today!

Julie said...

You are so talented and creative!! I'm just stopping by from SITS. Hope you have a great Thursday.

Hope said...

wow that is absolutely fabulous....you are very creative and patient....you could go into business with this....dare i attempt to try it.... i would end up demolishing the wall before i was done...lol....great job
Hope
http://hopelesslycrushingonyou.wordpress.com

Unknown said...

You did such a great job... the hardwork has truly paid off!!

Love it!

Lindsay @ A Design Story dot com

Unknown said...

WOW That is IMPRESSIVE!
Here from SITS.

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Wow. I'm impressed beyond words. What a neat treatement to dream up for that feature wall. Very very cool! Your choice of tone on tone is bang on.

Donna

Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...

This is one gorgeous wall...when I read the title I though ugh but wow what a beautiful project...
APPLAUSE!!!

Easily a professional designer wall treatment!!!

Unknown said...

Holy cow! That wall is pure insanity, I bet you see that pattern in your dreams LOL. It seriously looks straight out of Domino mag though, and it is hard to believe that it's not some pricey wallpaper.

You definitely should consider making and selling custom stencils!!

Thanks for sharing in our first Fresh Coat Friday, I can't wait to see what your next project will be!
Holly

Jen Vogt said...

Holy moly, that is an awesome wall! You have some incredible patience, girl. I think you've inspired me to actually stencil on my dining room wall. Of course, I have the patience of a two-year-old, so we'll see how that goes :)

Thanks so much for sharing!
Jen

Unknown said...

Wow, that looks amazing. I wouldn't never have the creative flair to do something like that!

Thanks for stopping by Cook Clean Craft!