Heaven in a Jar

Creme Brulee

Chocolate Crème Brûlée.

This was my first time making crème brûlée, and I’m in love. Sorry Andrew!

Now come on, you don’t have to spend triple the price in a 5-star restaurant for this rich velvety dessert. You’d never imagine simple everyday ingredients combined make this treat!

Start with chocolate.

Chocolate

Heavy cream

Chocolate cream!

Mix with heavy cream…

Eggs and sugar

Yum

Now add eggs and sugar!

Ramekins in hot water bath

Pour chocolate custard into ramekins. This recipe is perfect for two medium size ramekins or four smaller ones.  Place inside a baking dish and add boiling water. Then bake!

Cooling off

Topped with brown sugar

The classic crème brûlée calls for a sprinkle of white sugar, however I used brown sugar for a caramel glaze. Usually you would  use a normal kitchen torch to heat the sugar, Andrew and I used his “manly” torch from the garage.

Heat with a torch

It worked just fine and he was much happier that way!

Finished!

Pretty simple, huh? (Of course I’ll post the exact recipe below.) Just think, this jar of heaven could be waiting for you once you get home from the office or running errands and cleaning house.

Chocolate Crème Brûlée
2 cups heavy cream
3 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
3 egg yolks
6 tbsp. granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 325°, and have a medium size pot of boiling water ready.
2. Heat heavy cream in a saucepan over medium heat, just until the sides start to bubble. About 2-3 minutes, then remove from heat and stir in chocolate. Mix until chocolate is blended.
3. In a medium bowl, add egg yolks and sugar. Whisk until the mixture is pale yellow and forms thick ribbons, about 5 minutes. Then slowly stir in the chocolate cream and vanilla. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a large bowl.
4. Divide chocolate custard into ramekins and place into a 3-inch deep baking pan. Add the boiling water to fill the pan, about halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Cover the pan loosely with aluminum foil.
5. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the edges are set. The center will be soft. Remove ramekins from hot water bath and allow to cool on wire rack until room temperature. Cover with foil and refrigerate minimum of 4 hours.
6.  Prior to serving, sprinkle top evenly with brown sugar. Using a kitchen torch, move the flame in small circles over the surface until sugar caramelizes. About 30 seconds and serve immediately.
Recipe from: Joy of Cooking Cook Book

 

7 comments:

lori said...

That looks so freakin good. gorgeous photos. I don't have one of those little torches but I am sure my husband also has a manly torch in the garage. you really make it seem easy.

~Katey~ said...

That looks super yummy! I'm following you now from Friday Friendly Follow :)

http://kateyjakcsy.blogspot.com

Dubs said...

I am definitely going to try this! YUM!!

cheri said...

anything with chocolate is scrumptious :)

thanks for visiting my blog :)

Unknown said...

Oh my! Uhm, I think I'm sending hubby to the store for heavy cream now.
This looks delish!!

Sarah said...

Thank you for commenting! Shel, let me know how yours turns out if you try this recipe. Like I said this was my first time and it was very simple.

Room to Inspire said...

This look so yummy! My hubby would be in LOVE - I will have to try this soon.

Chelsea